This post may contain affiliate links. Using links to these sites means I may earn a percentage of the purchase at no cost to you. As an Amazon affiliate, I may recieve a percentage of qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
I grew up eating a very similar meal that my mom always use to make. She used a different cut of beef but overall the flavors are the same. Until just recently, I always made the beef and gravy separately from the rice. Oftentimes, we would eat just the beef and vegetables. But, I was in a big hurry one day and needed to make this a little bit faster. So, I combined all of the ingredients and ended up with a delicious one pot meal using my Instant Pot!
Generally speaking, beef stew meat needs to do just that….stew….for a long time. Very rarely do we have time to let something cook for hours and hours. I’m still amazed at how juicy and tender the beef stew meat comes out using the pressure cooker. In a fraction of the time, the result is the same as if we had cooked it all day long.
This meal has become a staple in our house- we eat it several times a month and my daughter Kaleigh requests it. She can’t get enough! Instant Pot Beef Tips with Rice is one of our comfort foods! It warms you up and keeps you feeling full. Give it a try! I think you’ll have found a new family favorite!
Tips for this recipe:
- Natural release the pressure. EVERY recipe that I have found online for beef tips says to quick release at the end. This cut of meat will be tough if you quick release.
- Don’t skip step number 4. It really does make a big difference. I’ve made this recipe having browned the meat and not. The browned meat comes out much more tender and juicy than the unbrowned meat.
- Get creative and add in your favorite vegetables. Sometimes I add in green peppers. 🙂
- You can use dry packaged gravy mix instead of the canned gravy but just be sure that you do not add more than 1 cup of water regardless of what the instructions on the packet say. If you add more water your gravy will be very liquidy!
Looking for more recipes? Check out some of our favorites!
Ingredients for making Instant Pot Beef Tips and Rice:
Directions on making Instant Pot Beef Tips and Rice:
Instant Pot Beef Tips with RiceRate this Recipe Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- Turn Instant Pot on sauté-high
- Once the pot is hot, add oil
- Add beef and season with salt and pepper
- Saute beef until browned on all sides
- Move the beef over to half of the pot and add onions to the other half of the pot
- Saute onions until tender- a little browning will add some great flavor!
- Stir beef and onions together and add garlic
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms, beef broth and canned gravy
- Stir and close lid
- Cook on high pressure with valve set to "seal" for 20 minutes
- Once timer beeps, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes
- Quick release remaining pressure and then open lid and stir
- Pour in uncooked white rice
- Close pressure cooking lid and move valve to “seal” position. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- When timer beeps, naturally release pressure for 5 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Open lid and stir