Check out Gloria's recipe for Tostones! We just love them and can't get enough of them!
We recently went to go visit my mother-in-law, Gloria in Florida. When we arrived, she had so many things for us to eat. But, the thing that I remember the most, and that I just could not get enough of, was the Tostones that she had made. I had never heard of these before and had never eaten them before. Tostones are the perfect snack-sized savory treat! They are super easy to make and because the flavor is very mild, everyone is sure to enjoy them!
Tips for making Tostones
Yellow plantains are riper than green plantains. As the plantains continue to ripen, they turn from green to yellow to brown. The riper they are, the sweeter they taste.
The green plantains taste similar to a potato. As they continue to ripen, they taste more and more like a sweet banana.
If you are serving the tostones along with other dishes, each plantain should serve about 2 people. If you are serving the tostones alone, as a snack, I'd recommend one plantain per person.
Ingredients for making Tostones
Directions for making Tostones
Pin Tostones recipe for later!!
TostonesRate this Recipe Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- Large Skillet
- 2 Plantains
- Cooking Oil
- Peel the plaintians.
- Cut plantians into one inch pieces.
- Fry the plantains in ½ inch of cooking oil in a large skillet. Fry for about 3 minutes on each side over medium heat.
- Once both sides of the plantains have been fried, remove them from the hot oil and place onto a paper towel to catch some of the extra oil.
- Using a plate or a cup, smash each of the plantain pieces from the top to the bottom. After you have smashed them, you should end up with a 3 or 4 inch plantain disc.
- Gently place each of the plantain discs back into the hot oil. Fry on each side for about a minute, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and salt generously. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only.
Looking for more recipes? Be sure to check out some of our favorites below!
Tasty Traveler #1
Hi, I’m Lauren but you can call me Tasty Traveler #1!
I have always had a passion for food, cocktails, and travel. It has become more pronounced over the last several years since I have had the opportunity to do so many of the things that I love. One of my favorite co...
Tasty Traveler #2
Hi, I’m Luis! (I like to think of myself as Tasty Traveler #1 but Lauren says I’m Tasty Traveler #2!)
I too have a love for food, travel, and all things in between! Over the past several years I have found more time to be adventurous with things that I eat, the plac...