Check out my recipe for making Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice using the pressure cook function.
This is a kid favorite meal. I started making this recipe by using the premade simmer sauces that come in the packet from the grocery store and the kids absolutely loved it! They actually requested this meal on a weekly basis.
Based on the simple ingredients, I thought I’d give it a go without the premade sauce packet and make it from scratch. After several attempts, I came up with the perfect recipe that comes out super cheesy…just the way Kaleigh likes it! Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice is the perfect one-pot meal for any weeknight!
Tips for making Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice
Don’t cut up your broccoli too small. The broccoli will break up during cooking and stirring. If you cut the broccoli too small it will basically disintegrate. If you prefer larger pieces of broccoli, wait to add it until you remove the lid at the end. The heat from the rice and chicken mixture will cook the broccoli.
Brown your chicken before adding to the pot. I did not do this. The kids prefer the smoother texture of the chicken when it is not browned. Browning the chicken will add a little extra flavor and will make for a nicer presentation.
Undercooking, the chicken will result in a rubbery texture. Overcooking the chicken will result in dry chicken. You want to make sure that you don't undercook or overcook the chicken.
Yes, you can. But, not for this recipe. Instant Rice cooks much faster than regular rice. During the time that the chicken takes to cook, the rice would be way overcooked and become water-logged.
Since the chicken for this recipe is cut up very small, and the broccoli is left in bigger chunks, it all cooks at the same time. If you were to use larger pieces of chicken or smaller pieces of broccoli, the broccoli would be way overcooked by the time the chicken and rice were finished cooking.
Never miss a recipe! Subscribe to have FREE recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Looking for more recipes? Check out some of my newest recipes!
- Ninja Creami Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Strawberry Cheesecake Cottage Cheese Protein Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Chocolate Protein Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Caramel White Chocolate Mocha Protein Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Caramel Banana Chocolate Chip Protein Ice Cream
- Ninja Creami Strawberry Banana Protein Ice Cream
Ingredient substitutions and tips for making Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice:
The full ingredient list is found at the bottom of the post in the recipe card.
Canola Oil- Any high-heat cooking oil can be used.
Chicken Broth- Chicken broth is recommended instead water due to the extra flavor that the chicken broth adds to the rice.
Rice- White, long-grain rice was used. White rice and brown rice (and other types of rice) take a different amount of time to fully cook. If you choose a rice other than white rice, the cook time will likely need to be increased. I would recommend cutting the chicken into slightly bigger pieces and waiting to add the broccoli when you add the cheese at the very end.
Chicken Breasts- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes. It's important to cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces so that they cook quickly.
Broccoli- Cut the broccoli into large chunks. If they are small pieces, they will overcook during the pressure cooking time. Fresh broccoli florets or frozen broccoli can be used.
Cheddar Cheese- Shredded cheddar cheese- you can use any other cheese that you like, just as long as it melts quickly.
Looking for more Instant Pot Recipes? Check out all of our Instant Pot recipes here!
Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy
What you'll need to make Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice:
Directions for making Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice:
1. Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes and season well with salt and pepper.
2. Pour canola oil into the Instant Pot insert pan.
3. Add the chicken broth, chicken, rice, and broccoli. Stir to combine.
4. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and close the valve to the sealed setting. Pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
5. When the timer ends, move the valve to the position and quick release all of the pressure.
6. Once all of the pressure has been released, open the Instant Pot lid.
7. Add the cheese and stir until well combined. While stirring the broccoli should break up and mix together with the rice and chicken.
8. Serve and enjoy!
Pin Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice on Pinterest:
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and RiceRate this Recipe Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon (0.99 Tablespoon) Canola Oil
- 29 Ounces (822.14 g) Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup (185 g) Rice (White-long grain)
- ¼ Teaspoon (0.25 Teaspoon) Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon (0.25 Teaspoon) Pepper
- 2 (2) Chicken Breasts (Boneless, skinless and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 ½ Cups (227.5 g) Broccoli (Cut into large chunks- fresh or frozen)
- 2 ½ Cups (282.5 g) Cheddar Cheese (Shredded)
- Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes and season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour canola oil into the Instant Pot insert pan.
- Add the chicken broth, chicken, rice, and broccoli. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and close the valve to the sealed setting. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- When the timer ends, move the valve to the position and quick release all of the pressure.
- Once all of the pressure has been released, open the Instant Pot lid.
- Add the cheese and stir until well combined. While stirring the broccoli should break up and mix together with the rice and chicken.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only.
Leave a Reply