Chocolate chip ice cream is one of the most popular ice cream flavors out there! Anyplace you go, they are bound to have chocolate chip as a staple flavor! Chocolate chip ice cream is basically just vanilla ice cream with little chocolate chips mixed throughout.
Do you have a great Ninja Creami recipe that you want to share? Submit your recipe to The Tasty Travelers!
Chocolate chip ice cream can be made in a couple of different ways using the Ninja Creami. You can use mini or regular-sized chips. I prefer the mini chips as they mix in better and since they are smaller, they are not as hard on your teeth as the regular-sized chocolate chips. You can also choose to use either cream cheese or instant pudding mix. I go back and forth based on what I have on hand. You can't taste the cream cheese once it's mixed in with the other ingredients.
Making Ninja Creami Chocolate Chip ice cream is easy to do and since the chocolate chips are the mix in, it really opens up the door to experiment with the flavors a little bit. There are a ton of different flavors of chocolate chips available at the grocery store now. You can get semi-sweet, butterscotch, white chocolate, mint, or even peanut butter chips. Feel free to experiment with the flavors of the chips to change it up every now and then. However, I would still recommend that you use the mini chips if you can find them!
How is the Ninja Creami different than an ice cream maker?
Ninja Creami Ice Cream Maker:
- The Ninja Creami ice cream machine does not have a cooling mechanism so it does not freeze the ice cream. Instead, it takes frozen bases and processes them by basically shaving the contents and mixing them together to create a very creamy frozen treat.
- Based on the model of Ninja Creami that you have, you can process 2 or 3 cups of ice cream at a time. This is great if you are trying to control the portions or if you want the ability to have a variety of frozen treats ready to be processed at any time.
- Almost anything can be made into a frozen treat, with the exception of high water content bases. Canned fruit, yogurt, protein shakes, etc. can be frozen and processed in the Ninja Creami.
- After the base has been frozen for 24 hours, it then gets processed in the Ninja Creami. The blade basically shaves down the contents of the container and mixes everything together to create a smooth texture.
- After processing you can add in any type of "mix-ins" that you would like. This is where you would add things like cookies, candy, nuts, etc. The mix-ins will get ground up a bit, but for the most part, they will hold their shape.
- The Ninja Creami has multiple functions. It does not just make ice cream. It also makes smoothies, milkshakes, gelato, creamiccinos, frozen drinks, frozen yogurt, lite ice cream, sorbet, and smoothie bowls- based on which model you have.
Traditional Ice Cream Maker:
- Traditional ice cream makers have a bowl that you need to freeze in advance. Once frozen, you add your ice cream base to the bowl and as the bowl spins, the mixture freezes.
- You can add ingredients like candy, cookies, nuts, and chips, and they will keep their shape and size pretty well. They will not break down very much during the ice cream-making process.
- Depending on which ice cream maker you have, it can take a few minutes or a few hours to freeze the mixture and turn it into ice cream.
- Traditional ice cream makers do not break down ingredients like canned fruit. If you try to make ice cream out of canned fruit, the machine will not have the ability to shave the fruit and make it creamy.
- Blenders can take some frozen things like ice, fruit, and small amounts of frozen yogurt and blend them together to make a thick frozen treat, similar to a thick smoothie or milkshake.
- Blenders do not freeze the base so there is no way to add the ingredients and process them so they are thick and smooth unless they are already frozen.
- You can blend ingredients together and then freeze them. But, the consistency will be much harder and not as smooth as it would be if processed using the Ninja Creami.
Chocolate chip ice cream is the perfect treat! You can eat it straight out of the pint container or drizzle it with hot fudge or flavored syrups! Just about anything goes well with Ninja Creami Chocolate Chip ice cream!
An important thing to note is that with the Ninja Creami, mix-ins do not do well when they are re-processed after freezing the leftovers. They tend to get pulverized and completely mixed in with the base.
So, for this recipe, and other recipes that have mix-ins, like butter pecan ice cream, or anything with brownies, nuts, graham crackers, cookies, or chunks of fruit, I would recommend sharing it with a friend so that you finish the pint off in one sitting.
Or, if that's not an option, put it back in the freezer (you can even transfer it to another container so that you are not using up your valuable pint containers) and when you are ready to eat it again, let it sit on the counter until it softens up and becomes scoopable again. This can take 10-30 minutes. You can also stick it in the microwave for 10-30 seconds to soften it up so that it is scoopable again. The texture will not be quite as creamy but it will still be a delicious treat!!
Tips for making Ninja Creami Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
No, you do not need to use cream cheese for Ninja Creami recipes. Instead, you can use a different stabilizer/thickener.
Click here to see a full list of cream cheese substitutes.
Per the manufacturer, it is recommended to freeze your desserts for a full 24 hours to ensure that the base mixture is evenly frozen throughout. Many have experimented and frozen for a shorter amount of time and have had good results. When making milkshakes with prepared ice cream, you don't need to wait 24 hours.
The Ninja Creami makes all sorts of treats. Since you control the ingredients you can make full-fat and sugar recipes or make keto, vegan, diabetic, bariatric-friendly, or protein-based treats. Based on your dietary restrictions you can modify almost any recipe to meet your needs.
Instead of regular milk, you can use almond milk, unsweetened coconut cream, coconut milk, dairy-free milk like unsweetened oat milk, bananas or protein powder and shakes to make protein ice cream.
Instead of sugar, you can use monk fruit sweetener, agave nectar, swerve, or allulose.
Instead of cream cheese, you can use vegan cream cheese, goat cheese, cottage cheese, or instant pudding.
Click HERE to see a full list of substitutions. Some substitutions provide a less creamy texture.
It depends on the recipe. I personally don't leave the ice cream out of the freezer before processing...ever. I put the container right into the Ninja Creami and process it. It comes out thick and creamy! If it's dry or crumbly I add a tablespoon or two of dairy and re-spin.
If your recipe is low in sugar or dairy, you may want to leave it out on the counter for 10-15 minutes before processing it. Letting it thaw a little bit helps to eliminate the ice crystals that may have formed around the inside of the pint and in the ice cream.
It's really a process of trial and error. Not all recipes react the same.
Never miss a recipe! Subscribe to have FREE recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Looking for more recipes?
Don't have a Ninja Creami? No problem!
Check out some of my newest recipes!
Ingredient substitutions and tips for making Ninja Creami Chocolate Chip Ice Cream:
Steps for making Ninja Creami Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Ice Cream:
Directions for making Ninja Creami Chocolate Chip Ice Cream:
Pin Ninja Creami Chocolate Chip Ice Cream on Pinterest for later:
Ninja Creami Chocolate Chip Ice CreamRate this Recipe Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Original and Deluxe Ingredient Measurements
Use the multiplier below to adjust quantities based on the machine that you own. 1X=Original 16 ounce 1.5X=Deluxe 24 ounces
Ice Cream Base
- ⅓ Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Freeze on a level surface for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, remove the pint from the freezer. Remove the lid.
- Place the Ninja Creami pint into the outer bowl. Place the outer bowl with the pint in it, into the Ninja Creami machine and turn until the outer bowl locks into place. Push the ICE CREAM button. During the ice cream function, the ice cream will mix together and become very creamy.
- Once the ice cream function has ended, turn the outer bowl and release it from the Ninja Creami machine.
- Dig a hole in the center of the ice cream and pour in the mini chocolate chips.
- Put the pint back into the Ninja Creami and process on the "Mix-Ins" function. Repeat and process on Mix-ins a second time to get the chocolate chips distributed throughout. Once the Ninja Creami is finished processing, remove from the machine.
- Your ice cream is ready to eat! Enjoy!
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. Optional ingredients are not included in the nutrition information.
Looking for more recipes? Be sure to check out some of our favorites below!
Tasty Traveler #1
Hi, I’m Lauren but you can call me Tasty Traveler #1!
I have always had a passion for food, cocktails, and travel. It has become more pronounced over the last several years since I have had the opportunity to do so many of the things that I love. One of my favorite co...
Tasty Traveler #2
Hi, I’m Luis! (I like to think of myself as Tasty Traveler #1 but Lauren says I’m Tasty Traveler #2!)
I too have a love for food, travel, and all things in between! Over the past several years I have found more time to be adventurous with things that I eat, the plac...