Check out my recipe for making Ninja Creami Mint Chocolate Ice Cream!
One of my favorite ice creams is the mint chocolate chip ice cream from Baskin Robbins. It doesn't have big chips in it. Instead, it has little flakes of chocolate everywhere! The chocolate flakes are mixed into green mint ice cream! Well, guess what?!? I figured out a really great way to make something super close to it!!
Do you have a great Ninja Creami recipe that you want to share? Submit your recipe to The Tasty Travelers!
The reason this Ninja Creami ice cream is called mint chocolate instead of mint chocolate chip is that there are no actual chips in it! You can add in mini chips if you would like, but there is no need to! The secret ingredient to making mint chocolate ice cream similar to the mint chocolate chip ice cream at Baskin Robbins is.....MAGIC SHELL!!! That's right! The magic shell chocolate fudge does not fully mix into the ice cream while it's processing as normal fudge does! Instead, the magic shell breaks up into flakes of chocolatey goodness!! Magic shell makes a magical sweet treat!!
For this recipe, I used peppermint extract. And, I will tell you...a little goes a VERY long way! I went through several variations and figured out very quickly that if you put too much of the peppermint extract in, the flavor becomes VERY overpowering and not good at all. So, be sure to follow the recipe below so that you don't end up with something that tastes more like toothpaste than like ice cream!
How long does it take Ninja Creami to make ice cream?
The Ninja Creami is unlike other ice cream makers due to it not having a cooling/freezing element to the machine.
Traditional Ice Cream Maker:
- Traditional ice cream makers have a chilled bowl that you add your base ingredients to. The bowl spins in the machine and slowly freezes the ice cream base.
- You can add in "mix-ins" and they will pretty much keep their form.
- The process only takes a few hours based on which ice cream maker you own. You can go from having just ingredients to having fully frozen ice cream that's ready to eat in just a couple of hours.
- However, the ice cream maker needs to start with a liquid base. It does not have the capability to take things like fruit and turn them into a creamy ice cream.
Ninja Creami Ice Cream Maker:
- The Ninja Creami is different in that it does not have a cooling element. So, you need to prepare your ice cream base ingredients ahead of time and freeze for 24 hours.
- The amount of ice cream is much smaller than a traditional ice cream maker. Based on which model of the Ninja Creami you have, you can only make 2 or 3 cups of ice cream at a time.
- You can put almost anything in the Ninja Creami containers and freeze it. Fruit, protein shakes, dairy, and sugar-based recipes, basically, anything that is not just water can go in the Ninja Creami.
- After the base has frozen for 24 hours, it goes into the Ninja Creami and it processes it by spinning the blade/paddle through the frozen base. It basically shaves the contents and mixes them together to create a very creamy consistency.
- After processing you can add in any type of "mix-ins" that you would like.
- The Ninja Creami doesn't just make ice cream. It can also make smoothies, milkshakes, gelato, creamiccinos, frozen drinks, frozen yogurt, lite ice cream, sorbet, and smoothie bowls. Options vary based on the model.
Mint Chocolate ice cream is the perfect homemade ice cream! Something to keep in mind when making Ninja Creami mint chocolate ice cream and other Ninja Creami recipes is that when you add in mix-ins, it becomes a challenge to eat the leftovers. Once the mix-ins have been added in, you do not want to process it again. If you do, the mix-ins will be pulverized by the paddle and thoroughly mixed in with the ice cream base.
So, for this recipe, and other recipes that have mix-ins, like butter pecan ice cream, or anything with brownies, nuts, graham crackers, cookies, or chunks of fruit, I would recommend sharing it with a friend so that you finish the pint off in one sitting.
Or, if that's not an option, put it back in the freezer (you can even transfer it to another container so that you are not using up your valuable pint containers) and when you are ready to eat it again, let it sit on the counter until it softens up and becomes scoopable again. This can take 10-30 minutes. The texture will not be quite as creamy but it will still be a delicious treat!!
Tips for making Ninja Creami Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
Peppermint or spearmint extract can be used. Spearmint extract is more overpowering and stronger in flavor, so peppermint extract can be a better option. In either case, a little goes a very long way. Always taste your ice cream base mixture before freezing to determine if you need more or less mint flavoring.
Green food coloring is added to mint ice cream to make it look green. The flavors are the same whether it is green or white. As companies move towards removing artificial ingredients, some have removed the green food coloring from their recipes.
Per the manufacturer, it is recommended to freeze your desserts for a full 24 hours to ensure that the base mixture is evenly frozen throughout. Many have experimented and frozen for a shorter amount of time and have had good results. When making milkshakes with prepared ice cream, you don't need to wait 24 hours.
The Ninja Creami makes all sorts of treats. Since you control the ingredients you can make full-fat and sugar recipes or make keto, vegan, diabetic, bariatric-friendly, or protein-based treats. Based on your dietary restrictions you can modify almost any recipe to meet your needs.
Instead of regular milk, you can use almond milk, coconut cream, coconut milk, dairy-free milk like oat milk, bananas or protein powder and shakes.
Instead of sugar, you can use monk fruit sweetener, agave nectar, swerve, or allulose.
Instead of cream cheese you can use vegan cream cheese, goat cheese, cottage cheese, or instant pudding.
Click HERE to see a full list of substitutions. Some substitutions provide a less creamy texture.
Mint chocolate chip ice cream is made of a base of mint-flavored ice cream, usually peppermint or spearmint. Chocolate chips or chunks are added in. The result is a delicious mint chocolate ice cream with little chocolate surprises throughout! Mint chocolate chip ice cream is one of the most popular flavors.
Never miss a recipe! Subscribe to have FREE recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Looking for more recipes?
Don't have a Ninja Creami? No problem!
Check out some of my newest recipes!
Ingredient substitutions and tips for making Ninja Creami Mint Chocolate Ice Cream:
Steps for making Ninja Creami Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Ice Cream:
Directions for making Ninja Creami Mint Chocolate Ice Cream:
Pin Ninja Creami Mint Chocolate Ice Cream for later:
Ninja Creami Mint Chocolate Ice CreamRate this Recipe Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Original and Deluxe Ingredient Measurements
Use the multiplier below to adjust quantities based on the machine that you own. 1X=Original 16 ounce 1.5X=Deluxe 24 ounces
Ice Cream Base
- Put the lid on the pint and freeze on a level surface for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, remove the pint from the freezer. Remove the lid.
- Place the Ninja Creami pint into the outer bowl. Place the outer bowl with the pint in it, into the Ninja Creami machine and turn until the outer bowl locks into place. Push the ICE CREAM button. During the ice cream function, the ice cream will mix together and become very creamy.
- Once the ice cream function has ended, turn the outer bowl and release it from the Ninja Creami machine.
- Dig a hole in the center of the ice cream and squirt in the magic shell. Also, drizzle the magic shell over the top of the ice cream. Let it sit for about a minute so that the magic shell sets up and gets hard. Optional: Add mini chocolate chips.
- Put the pint back into the Ninja Creami and process on the "Mix-Ins" function. Once the Ninja Creami is finished processing, remove from the machine.
- Your ice cream is ready to eat! Enjoy!
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. Optional ingredients are not included in the nutrition information.
Looking for more recipes? Be sure to check out some of our favorites below!
Tasty Traveler #1
Hi, I’m Lauren but you can call me Tasty Traveler #1!
I have always had a passion for food, cocktails, and travel. It has become more pronounced over the last several years since I have had the opportunity to do so many of the things that I love. One of my favorite co...
Tasty Traveler #2
Hi, I’m Luis! (I like to think of myself as Tasty Traveler #1 but Lauren says I’m Tasty Traveler #2!)
I too have a love for food, travel, and all things in between! Over the past several years I have found more time to be adventurous with things that I eat, the plac...