Check out my recipe for making Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff using the pressure cook function!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is the perfect comfort food! Sometimes we just want a nice, warm, hearty meal! It’s a bonus if there aren’t a lot of ingredients, a lot of work and time involved to make it, or a big cleanup.
I grew up eating beef stroganoff with dry and chewy strips of beef (sorry mom!). Needless to say, I wasn’t a fan and was hesitant to make it on my own. Well, I have come around and now I really like beef stroganoff, especially if it’s made in the Instant Pot. I am amazed at all of the things that you can do with stew meat! Seriously! The instant pot takes cheap meat and turns it into a thing of greatness in no time.
Since stew meat is a tougher cut of meat and tends to be a little chewy, I recommend pressure cooking it and then delaying the release of the pressure for several minutes. If you quick release the pressure, the stew meat isn't as tender. You don't have to do a full natural pressure release. Instead, just delay the pressure for 5-10 minutes.
So, here we have it…..an Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe that brought me back to my childhood friend, beef stroganoff. Needless to say, we are better friends now.
Tips for making Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
When making beef stroganoff, you can use yogurt instead of sour cream if you would prefer. It provides a slightly different flavor but creates the creaminess that you are looking for.
If you are using beef stew meat as I did in this recipe, pressure cooking the beef helps to make it tender instead of chewy. Natural release the pressure after cooking the beef to keep it tender.
Coating the beef and mushrooms with flour, before cooking, helps to thicken the stroganoff sauce. You don't need a lot of flour, just enough to lightly coat the beef and mushrooms. For this recipe, I used about 2 tablespoons.
This might sound strange, but top your beef stroganoff with green peas! I know…it sounds strange!!! But, there’s something about the sweetness of the green peas that goes so well with the richness of the beef stroganoff. I just love it!
Never miss a recipe! Subscribe to have FREE recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Looking for more recipes? Check out some of my newest recipes!
Ingredient substitutions and tips for making Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff:
What you'll need to make Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice:
Directions for making Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff:
Pin Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff on Pinterest:
Instant Pot Beef StroganoffRate this Recipe Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons (1.97 Tablespoons) Oil (Vegetable or Canola)
- 1 Pound (453.59 g) Beef Stew Meat (Cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 Cup (160 g) Onion (White-diced)
- 1 Teaspoon (0.99 Teaspoon) Salt
- 1 Teaspoon (0.99 Teaspoon) Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons (1.97 Tablespoons) Flour
- 2 Cups (480 g) Beef Broth
- 2 Tablespoons (1.97 Tablespoons) Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons (1.97 Tablespoons) Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons (1.97 Tablespoons) Garlic (Minced)
- 3 Cups (288 g) Mushrooms (Sliced)
- ½ Cup (115 g) Sour Cream
- 8 Ounce (226.8 g) Egg Noodles (Wide)
- Turn on your Instant Pot and select the sauté function.
- Add oil and heat for 1 minute.
- Add onion and cook until the onion becomes tender and translucent.
- Pour in beef broth and stir. Be sure to stir well, scraping the bottom of the pot to deglaze it. You don't want any burnt on pieces of beef or onions stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Close the lid and pressure cook high pressure for 18 minutes with the vent on “seal.”
- When timer beeps, delay the release of pressure for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid, stir, and add in the egg noodles
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes with the vent on “seal.”
- When the timer beeps, allow pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and add in ½ cup of sour cream.
- Stir and serve!
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only.