ABC green beans made in the Instant Pot is a delicious way to jazz up a very simple vegetable. What are ABC green beans you ask? Well, it’s green beans with the addition of Almonds, Bacon and Cranberries! This is the BEST combination of salty and sweet and combines amazingly well with the green beans.
When cooking green beans, we prefer to cook them until they are al dente which means that they still have a bit of crunch. Yes, it is possible to have al dente green beans cooked in the Instant Pot!
Tips for making ABC Green Beans in the Instant Pot:
1.Yes, you can use frozen green beans. I would recommend that if you are going to use frozen green beans that you buy the whole green beans instead of the cut ones. The smaller the pieces of green bean, the more quickly it will cook. Cut green beans will cook faster than whole green beans and with the cook time already being at 0 minutes, it will be difficult to not overcook the frozen, cut green beans.
2. Be sure to FULLY cook the bacon before adding in the other ingredients. The bacon will not continue to cook and crisp up during pressure cooking. If the bacon is not fully cooked before pressure cooking, it will be under-cooked and will not be crispy.
3. Serve immediately. The longer the cooked green beans sit in the Instant Pot, the longer they will continue to cook. As with most vegetables, the green beans do not take long to cook in the Instant Pot and can very quickly go from al dente to mushy.
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out some of our favorites!
- Instant Pot Pecan Glazed Ham
- Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas with Ham
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Corned Beef
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
Ingredients for making ABC Green Beans in the Instant Pot:
- 2 pounds fresh, whole green beans
- 4-6 strips thick cut bacon-cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon garlic-minced
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
Directions for making ABC Green Beans in the Instant Pot:
Instant Pot ABC Green BeansPrint Pin Rate
- Instant Pot
- 2 pounds green beans (fresh, whole green beans)
- 4-6 strips bacon (thick cut-cut into small pieces)
- ¼ cup almonds (sliced)
- ¼ cup cranberries (dried)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- Wash and trim fresh, whole green beans. Be sure to remove all of the stems from the green beans.
- Turn Instant Pot on “saute” on high. Once Instant Pot is hot, add bacon and continue to stir until bacon is fully cooked.
- Once bacon is fully cooked, turn off the saute function and add the minced garlic. Be sure to stir right away so that it does not burn.
- Continue stirring and add the dried cranberries.
- Continue to stir and add the sliced almonds and the pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the fresh green beans and the broth and stir. Close the pressure cooking lid and set the timer to 0 minutes. Make sure the valve is moved to the seal position and press start. Once the timer ends, quick release all pressure and then remove the lid. Stir and serve!